[Series#1] Japanese psychological horror masterpiece, 'Chilas Art'

In the 'Roh Gil Series' , we meet with domestic and foreign game developers who walk out of the way only based on their philosophy, without being in a rapidly changing situation and external environment.

This time, we were divided into sub -classifications of 'Dongin Game' and highlighted the indie industry in Japan, which is relatively low in recognition. In the first order of the monumental, the indie game developer who walks on the horror road, who launches a low -cost horror game that is less than 10,000 won, and informs domestic horror fans as a 'caustic horror restaurant'. I heard the story of Chilla's Art.

※ Please understand that there is no real name in the article at the request of the interview.

■ 'Japanese -style psychological horror' Q. For users who do not know 'Chilla's Art', please introduce first. **

- hello! Chilas Art is a small indie game developer who is making games for two brothers. Sometimes I get help from my wife, and I only do most of my work. At first, I was making a game by myself, but I felt that I needed a person who could be programmed. We are mainly making horror games.

Q. 'Chilas Art' is now a horror developer. In Korea, it is also introduced as a 'price horror game restaurant'. I've been developing horror games since 2018, and have you been able to catch 'fear' as the main concept?

\ -There is no special reason. Simply the horror genre was good. Since I was a child, I enjoyed horror games and horror movies, and I wanted to make it myself. As a result, I think I only made a horror game naturally.

Q. In that sense, 'SPHAERA', which was released in 2018, is a special game. That's why it's almost the only game of genre, not fear made by Chilas Art. I am also curious about the background that this work is made.

-You may be disappointed, but I've just made it. You wanted to make something new, and you can think of it as a game that was born in such a trial and error.

** Q. 'Chilas Art' is making horror games with the motif of Japanese private tales and urban legends. I don't think it's easy to choose a decent material in many ghost stories.

\ -The horror games made in Chilas Art are divided into two detailed genres: 'survival horror' and 'psychological fear'. Here, when creating a 'psychological horror' game, we are trying to capture the Japanese landscape that can be easily faced around. If you find a scary element in these everyday life, you can make this game to make a game.

Q. It is the strength of Chilas Art that the new release cycle is really short. I'm curious about what is the know -how to make multiple works quickly, and to make a short short release instead of making a feature for a long time.

\ -We does not come up with the idea too much at the planning stage, and the production process is efficiently and does not care about the details. I don't know if I can say this.

In addition, when I thought about making a Japanese horror game, I remembered more ideas than ever before, and I thought I had to embody these countless ideas as soon as possible. It also has the advantage of keeping new works somehow to continue to look at the reactions of users.

Q. Korean language support has been applied since June 2021, and Korean users have increased accessibility. It is not easy for indie developers to support foreign languages. Is there an opportunity to decide to support Korean?

- Thank you very much for the fans thank you for requesting 'I'll translate Korean, apply it to the game.' Even now, fans who say they want to translate Korean are in charge of translation. There are many people who apply for this voluntary application.

■ "The only horror game is to make, but with the heart of learning something new every time" Q. Starting with 'Okaeri' released in 2019, the noise blur effect reminiscent of VHS film is often used in Chilas Art's work. How can you influence this directing?

\ -The VHS film is introduced because it wants to give a 'home video' feeling that amateur is not a professional. Through these directing, I think that it will convey the realism that is actually in the field and allow players to be more immersed in the game.

Q. Another way to convey a bizarre impression to the player is a direct modeling face on a simple modeling. I want to know how the face of the character in the game is made. Are you using photos of acquaintances?

-Of course, I have used photos of real acquaintances. In most cases, however, we use the character creator function of 'Realusion' to create a character in the game.

Q. What is the most favorite of 20 kinds of titles?

-Maybe it's 'AKA Manto (ン ン)'. Personally, I think it's the most scary of the games of Chilas Art. This is also a game that I want to recommend to those who haven't seen the horror games of Chilas Art yet. Of course, I want to try all the games we made (laughs).

Q. The most notable work in Korea is also a night shift. Many people have learned Chilas art with this work. "I have a lot of experience that the developer has worked at a convenience store," but is it a really real experience?

\ -I have a part-time job at a convenience store when my wife is in school, so I listen to various stories from her wife. But most of them were imagined. For reference, the café part -time part of the most recent game 'Closed Incident' was also based on imagination. In fact, if you are working in the industry, you will see a lot of awkward things.

Stigmatized Property | 事故物件 - A Nice Apartment With Low Rent maybe haunted, Japanese Horror Game ▲ Video Source: 'Rock' YouTube Channel

** Q. On the way back, he challenged the third person's survival game genre. A new attempt that has not been shown in the past is a highly valued work.

-Because I wanted to introduce something new. We are a small indie game development, but I think it is important to continue to grow in the process of creating a work. In order not to stay in one place, we always devise a new way and think about various attempts.

Q. Since then, 'late night broadcast' introduced driving elements. It introduces different elements every time, but it maintains a big framework called 'fear'. Do you want to develop a game of another genre?

- I like horror genres very much, so I think I want to continue making horror games in the future. But I want to make a horror game of other genres that I haven't made so far while trying various ways. For example, I want to make something like a survival horror game.

Q. Most of the games of Chilas Art are short and story -oriented, so there are a lot of people who only see the game only on the streamer broadcast. Streamer broadcasting plays a role in promoting the game, but I don't think it's a lot of negative shapes. What do you think about the live broadcast of the game?

\ -I think there are many people who have learned the game of Chilas art through media such as YouTube or Twitch, so I am grateful. It's a different experience to watch the game and actually play, so even if you watch the broadcast, you can play it yourself, or say, 'Would you like to do the next work yourself?' Since Chilas Art is taking a strategy of playing a lot of games in a short period of time, I think it's a happy thing to think about 'next'.

Q. Apart from steady work, there are few offline activities, so many users are curious about Chilas Art. In fact, there are rumors that developers may not be Japanese. Do you have any plans to participate in offline events such as TGS?

- I do not plan to participate in the offline event right now. I have heard that rumor. Chilas Art is Japanese (laughs). There may be some people who feel awkward because of their long residence.

Q. It's been about two months since the latest work, and it's time for a new work. Please briefly introduce what kind of game you are currently developing.

\ -The new work is a psychological horror game based on Sento, a Japanese air bath. This work is also based on Japanese culture and can apply VHS film production as needed and have multi -ending.

Q. Lastly, what if you have a message you want to tell to fans in Korea?

\ -Las art is developing with the intention of learning each game. Nowadays, I always enjoy the game development every day, so always the game

Comments